Clear Ceramic Braces Reading, MA
Individuals concerned about the aesthetic challenges of metal braces will be pleased to know there is an alternative — clear ceramic braces. Ceramic braces, with their tooth-colored material, are less noticeable on your teeth, a definite plus for those who feel self-conscious about receiving orthodontic treatment.
Are you a good candidate for ceramic braces?
The best candidates for this treatment are individuals with all their adult teeth who have also stopped growing to reduce the chance of brackets breaking due to tooth movement. Ceramic braces are also perfect for those who have a full-time job or attend college and want a less noticeable way to improve their smile.
What is the difference between clear braces and clear aligners?
Clear braces function the same as traditional metal braces except that they are clear! Clear braces are a less noticeable alternative to traditional metal braces and provide patients with an equally effective treatment.
Clear aligners are different from clear braces. Clear aligners are pieces of hard plastic that are designed to fit into your mouth like a mouthguard. Clear aligners are great for patients requiring minor orthodontic treatment.
What are the advantages and disadvantages to clear braces?
As with any orthodontic treatment, it is important to choose the right option for your needs and lifestyle. Clear braces are a great alternative to traditional metal braces and your orthodontist will help you determine whether they are the right treatment for you.
Advantages of clear braces:
- Appearance: Ceramic braces and clear braces are much less noticeable than traditional metal braces. Clear and ceramic braces offer an aesthetic alternative for patients seeking options other than traditional metal braces.
- Confidence: Many patients who choose ceramic or clear braces feel more confident about their orthodontic treatment, especially knowing that people are focusing on their smiles rather than their braces.
- Comfort: The material used to make the brackets of ceramic braces can be less harsh on the cheeks and gums than metal brackets, making them more comfortable to wear.
Disdvantages of clear braces:
- Cost: Ceramic and clear braces may cost more than traditional metal braces. Your orthodontist may offer convenient payment plans to help control the costs of your treatment. Be sure to talk to your orthodontist about all your financial options.
- Discoloration: The clear elastic ties used with clear and ceramic braces may become slightly discolored when you drink tea, coffee, or wine, and eat certain foods or smoke. Ask your orthodontist about how you can keep your braces looking their best.
- Cleaning time: Because the ceramic brackets are larger than traditional metal brackets, it may be more challenging to keep the brackets — and the areas around them — clean.
Are clear or ceramic braces the right choice for my smile?
By talking to your orthodontist, you can decide if clear or ceramic braces are the right treatment for you. Your orthodontist can provide answers to your questions and extra information explaining the benefits of each treatment option.
If you would like to learn more about clear braces, ceramic braces, and all of the options available to you, please contact our practice at (781) 358-8191 and schedule an appointment today.